Monday, March 25, 2019

a spiritual-life-crisis, Radical Christianity, and why I'm not going to Africa

I've been going through what can only be described as a spiritual-life-crisis for the past few months. I blame my husband, really, because he challenged me to read "Follow Me" (which, if you haven't read it, is a pretty in-your-face book -- and totally worth it!). It led me to reading more of Platt's work, as well as Chan and other "radical" thinkers.
One of the biggest things I took away from them was how we can get so distracted by everyday life that we lose sight of the urgency there is for problems around the world that other people are facing ... because it doesn't affect us at all.

Every day, more than 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes -- one child every five seconds. 852 million people across the world are hungry.

But those are just numbers. They don't have faces or names. We hear that and think, "That's too bad..." and then we go about our regular life.
Months ago I started praying for opportunities in my neighborhood but also for global opportunities to serve people. And a few weeks later a friend and founder of Get the Word Out, a woman who took me to Kenya almost ten years ago, said they were going again this summer and asked me to consider coming. I met with her and learned about what they have been doing lately and what they were working on in Kenya.
They are doing wonderful things. But one cool thing we loved was their mission to take Lifestraw Community Water filters to communities that have no clean water.
I started praying about it and was really excited about the opportunity to return to Kenya. It's always had a special place in my heart. But there was this hesitancy -- a small part of me wondered if it was wise to go and spend $3000 on myself rather than sending the money to help the mission.
Going VS Sending ... a huge debate ... and there's no easy - or right - answer.
But I knew God would let me know what He wanted for me.
I prayed and read my Bible each day seeking His will, but it felt cloudy. Today I was praying about it again and decided to watch a documentary I had noticed on RightNow that Francis Chan had done called In Light of Eternity ... and at the end he might as well have said, "Missy - here's your answer ... "
He said (in my own words) sometimes you have to go, and see, and experience things to understand the plight people are facing and its urgency. But sometimes it's not wise to spend $3000 (I KID YOU NOT HE SAID $3000!) on yourself when you could send that aide to missionaries that are already on the ground, indigenous, know the people, know the language, and are already doing a great work.

I realized God is calling me to go.

Financially.

But not physically. 

Not this time.

I've been. I've seen the problem. I've seen what I need to see, I've heard what I need to hear, and now I need to support the work that is already being done. It was made very clear to me the urgency of the problems there, and I was being called to still raise the same amount of money -- but rather than go myself I needed to send water filters in my place.
Just like Nehemiah: The Lord has shown me a problem, it has moved me deeply, and we want to be a part of the solution.

So, Lord willing, we are going to raise enough money to send at least 10 water filters ($3750). One water filter costs $375. It has a lifetime of 26,000 gallons and is enough for 100 people for 3-5 years! And we would LOVE you to partner with us.

We are going to create a GoFundMe page so that all the money we raise for these water filters can get right to Get the Word Out, Inc. for them to purchase for their trip in July. All donations will receive a personal thank-you gift from me and my family.

"March 22 was World Water Day, the U.N.’s annual observance day to highlights the importance of clean water, especially in developing communities. The global water crisis might seem like one of those huge, stubborn problems that can’t be fixed. One in nine people around the world lacks access to clean water, triggering lots of other problems: disease, poor nutrition, loss of schooling for kids and loss of productivity for adults. Reaching everyone in the world with sustainable water – well, that might take a miracle. I assure you, it’s possible. And it can happen in our lifetime. Smart, passionate people are working on this..." ("The Real-Life Miracle of Clean Water")


Kenya, 2010, sharing the Gospel


Handing out pillowcase dresses my small group had made for the girls



Smiles are universal and transcend every language barrier and cultural difference.


Water filter delivered to Jerusalem Girls Secondary School in 2018
"Most JOYFUL school I’ve ever been to visit. Such a blessing to share song, dance, the WORD, and CLEAN WATER!" Karen Smith, founder, GTWO Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment